March 11-13, 2016: Mt Washington, Vancouver Island
Join Caroline M. Berinyuy and a group of others interested in young womens’ leadership for a retreat this spring. You’ll spend a weekend on Mt Washington in the Comox Valley, where you will get to know each other, learn more about Caroline’s work, consider ways to be in solidarity – and have fun!
Caroline M. Berinyuy, program director of the Young Women’s Leadership Program (YWLP) in Cameroon, completed her PhD in Education at the University of Virginia. Global Solidarity Retreat organizer Mali Bain has connected with her in relation to her visit to Vancouver to present at the 2016 Comparative and Intercultural Education Society (CIES) conference; Caroline is thrilled to be co-facilitating the YWLP-Cameroon Global Solidarity Retreat.
The retreat will be an opportunity to
- Connect with others in British Columbia interested in global solidarity
- Learn more about Young Women Leaders Program (YWLP) in Cameroon and Caroline Berinyuy’s approach to leading this work
- Explore topics such as: intercultural collaboration, global citizenship, insider/outsider perspectives, biases & ways of knowing, and imposed/expressed/perceived needs.
We welcome a diverse group of participants, both those new to this work and those with significant experience/training. You will benefit most from this retreat if you have one or more of the following:
- Interest in young women’s leadership locally and/or internationally
- Interest in social justice and/or working in solidarity
- Awareness of own social location (race/gender/class/sexual orientation/ability/etc)
- Interest in or experience working in an international and/or Indigenous context
Please share widely, and be in touch with questions / comments!
– YWLP-Cameroon Global Solidarity Retreat Co-facilitators: Caroline, Mali, and Colleen
More information: http://blogs.ubc.ca/malibain/2016/01/14/apply-now-for-the-ywlp-cameroon-global-solidarity-retreat-march-11-13/