Are you looking to make an impact? Are you interested in how communications actions translate ideas and messaging into impact and action? As part of the BC Council for International Cooperation’s volunteer internship program we are looking for a Volunteer Communications Program Assistant.
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer who will play a key role in supporting core BCCIC communication activities (including website maintenance, video recording support, and simple design) as well as support the development and execution of circulation of BCCIC publications.
This is an ideal opportunity for individuals who are:
- Passionate about global change and how it comes to occur
- Interested in the mechanics and intricacies of marketing and media relations
- Excited to translate ideas into easily digestible visuals
- Wanting to gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Assist in researching, identifying, and documenting information on key media target audiences
- Contribute to the design and development of BCCIC’s website content including visuals
- Work with the Communications Officer to develop and execute marketing strategies
- Assist with and support BCCIC’s virtual programming including webinars and livestreaming
- Support building BCCIC’s list of promotional and media contacts
- Assist with website updates and some administrative work as required
- Proven attention to detail
- Experience with creating and working with layout and design including WordPress
- Big picture thinker, thinking outside the box
- Familiarity with a breadth of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, HootSuite, MailChimp)
- Self-directed and ability to work independently
- Problem-solver, ability to take initiative
- Experience working with video as a medium an asset including Adobe Premier
- Experience working with design software including Adobe Creative Cloud and Canva an asset
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer intern available starting mid–September who can dedicate at least 8-16 hours (1-2 days) a week until end of March 2016 to carry out the above responsibilities. This time period will include a standard 3 month probation at which time the candidate’s performance will be subject to evaluation.
The selected candidate will work directly with the Communications Officer at the Vancouver BCCIC Office and carry out their tasks in-office. Some flexibility may be negotiated.
In return for donating your time, BCCIC will provide opportunities to:
- Gain valuable communication and media experience as it applies to the non-profit sector
- Develop insight into what contributes to the success of a communications initiative
- Network within the non-profit and global social change sector
- Participate in capacity building workshops and receive staff mentorship
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and resume as part of the BCCIC team and;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network.
Deadline to express interest is Wednesday, September 14th at 5:00 PM 2016 with a tentative start date for the week of September 19.
Interested individuals are asked to email Kareen Wong at email@example.com with a copy of your CV as well as a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest. Individuals will be contacted and assessed on a rolling basis.
BCCIC is a coalition of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/