Position duration: June 6 – August 12
Number of Hours per Week: 40.00
Hourly Wage Rate: $10.45
Location: Vancouver, BC
We are looking for an outgoing self-starter with excellent communication skills. This position allows for a flexible work arrangements and schedule. Supervision and support will be provided both remotely and in person.
This position directly supports Taking IT Global’s Explore150 program, which is focused on Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, and the work of Check Your Head.
➢ Explore150 provides an online platform to foster greater awareness of and engagement in Canada’s cultural, natural, and historic sites. http://explore150.tigweb.org/
➢ Check Your Head is a Vancouver-based youth-focused organization that educates, activates and empowers youth around social, economic and environmental justice issues. www.checkyoruhead.org
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Development of regional content calendar to highlight events, festivals, celebrations, history, and culture for the Explore150 Facebook and Twitter pages
• Researching and developing educational content to ensure sites of significance in British Colombia are represented in the Explore150 program. This includes capturing photos, conducting video interviews and creating multiple choice questions to be added as Discovery Quests that offer educational information for users.
• Promotion of the Explore150 program at events, festivals, and celebrations in and around Vancouver linking to the local priority around these events.
• Outreach to local historic, cultural, and nature-focused places and organizations to raise awareness of the Explore150 programs and explore opportunities for joint promotion, or to highlight their activities through the program. This includes promotion of the Digital Guestbook for sites to invite visitors to share reflections and experiences on Explore150.
• Outreach to summer camps in order to facilitate Explore150 Adventure activities and challenges for teams of campers to participate.
• Outreach to local affiliate members of Explore150 National Partners includingYouth Centres Canada members, UNESCO World Heritage Sites and Biosphere Reserves, Canadian Museums Association Members, National Trust for Canada members, Youthful Cities teams etc. • Participation in Explore150 national team meetings with representatives across
Canada via video conferencing to contribute to program strategy development and future plans towards 2017 celebrations
• Providing administrative and operational support to Check Your Head • Supporting Check Your Head’s local school and community-based educational programming
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2; and,
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of colour, First Nations/Aboriginal individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, people of all genders and abilities, and members of other under-represented communities to apply.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in one file (Word Doc or PDF) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 25th, 10 am with ‘Summer Student’ in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short listed candidates will be contacted.