Environment and Climate Change Canada is looking for input on the draft 2016-2019 Federal Sustainable Development Strategy.
This Strategy will become the government’s plan and vision for a more sustainable Canada. All Canadians are being asked to get involved and share their views. The government is looking for input into developing high-level aspirational goals, clear and measurable targets, and concrete plans for achieving those targets.
The 120-day public consultation on the draft Strategy is running from February 26 to June 24, 2016.
Note: The deadline for submissions has passed. View BCCIC’s submission below.
BCCIC Submits Collective Feedback to FSDS Review
BCCIC submitted collective feedback to this process in the form of a formal comment letter as well as a document with commentary and recommendations. We encourage members and those interested in the community to have a look through the document and let us know what you think!
Comment Letter:BCCIC Submission to FSDS
Collective Submission:A BC Review of the FSDS
Six British Columbian youth offer thoughts on what it will take for us to build a sustainable Canada. This video was submitted to Environment and Climate Change Canada in June 13, 2016 as part of the “Your Stories” page on the Let’s Talk Sustainability consultation website.
These BC youth have all been involved in the creation and publication of BCCIC’s 2016 report : “Keeping Track – The UN Sustainable Development Goals” available online at bccic.ca
What can British Columbians do?
BCCIC strongly encourages all members and stakeholders in our network to participate in this process and submit during this consultation period independently.
BCCIC will also be holding a consultation among our membership and community stakeholders in preparation to submit a collective document. The tentative date being targeted for this is June 14.Explore the Draft Strategy
How to Participate:
- Visit the draft Strategy: Every page of the “e-Strategy” has a comment box you can use to submit comments directly as you browse.
- Join the conversation online at Let’s Talk Sustainability. The government will post discussion questions regularly during the public consultation period from February 26 to June 24.
- Comments may be emailed to: email@example.com
- Comments will be collected via social media via Facebook posts and Tweets to @environmentca with hashtag #sustainability.
- Letters may be sent to the Sustainable Development Office, 200 Sacré-Coeur Street, Box 12-3, Gatineau, Quebec, K1A 0H3
- Participate in webinars or technical briefings.
The final version of the Strategy will be released later in 2016. In the meantime, the government has committed to reporting back with an overview of what they heard from the public and its impact on the final Strategy. It is planned that over the next three years we will see continuous to engagement opportunities for dialogue between Canadians and government on sustainable development.