Program Manager (Bilingual French English, Spanish is an asset)
The Program Manager oversees the implementation of a dynamic international cooperation program with local partners in Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Senegal, Swaziland, Tanzania and Togo. Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Manager manages a team of five program officers in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and overseas offices, with responsibility for more than 100 international volunteers annually. The Program Manager ensures effective design and implementation of a robust volunteer cooperation program and establishes and manages new strategic alliances to grow and enhance our work to advance equality for women and girls.
Crossroads International, a leader in international cooperation, has been fighting inequality for more than 50 years. We do this by bringing people together for a common cause, to create lasting solutions to overcome poverty and advance women’s rights. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Southern Africa, West Africa and South America. We work with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. We invest in local partners who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With local partners, we develop co-operatives and collective enterprises that generate income and advance the autonomy of youth, women and the rural poor. We pilot innovative approaches to reducing violence against women and girls and advancing women’s rights. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity, supported by Global Affairs Canada, other government and non-government funders and many individual donors around the world.
The Ideal Candidate
The Program Manager has a solid managerial experience in development programs, with a strong commitment and demonstrated experience managing projects to advance women’s equality. The incumbent will bring expertise in international program and budget management, monitoring and evaluation with strong gender analysis and experience integrating a gender analysis across program and partnerships. S/he will be an enthusiastic ambassador for Crossroads and international volunteering, managing the implementation of our program and establishing new strategic partnerships to complement and grow our program. The ideal candidate is an effective and inspirational mentor of people who understands the importance of developing the skills, knowledge and abilities of direct reports; manages work, project plans and outcomes effectively and provides oversight and leadership to cross-organizational initiatives. A strong collaborator with a high degree of professionalism and diplomacy, the Program Manager will be responsible for program design and day to day management of program operations.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience, including project management and supervisory/leadership experience
- University degree or equivalent in a related field
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Demonstrated supervision and coaching skills
- Demonstrated project and budget management skills
- In-depth knowledge and experience in international cooperation and global strategies to advance equality for women
- Strong writing skills and ability to communicate and work in both English and French is essential, Spanish an asset
- Commitment to and experience in integrating a gender analysis
- Overseas work experience in international development projects/programs
- Previous experience with international volunteering
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in developmental evaluation an asset
- Strong planning and proposal writing skills
- Collaborative working style with experience in leading team-based initiatives
- Solid understanding of the Canadian NGO community as well as government and donors involved in international development activities
- Familiarity with online collaboration and learning an asset
- Experience working in a diverse work environment and on cross-functional teams
- This position can be based in Toronto or Montreal with travel overseas and to other Crossroads offices.
Position Type: Full Time with competitive salary and benefits
- Ability to travel overseas and in Canada and be away from home for frequent short periods
- Note: Restriction of vacation during GAC Volunteer Cooperation Call for proposals and reporting periods.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, in a role that has global impact please submit your cover letter and résumé in one document (word or PDF) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Program Manager in the subject line.
Closing Date: Applications will be reviewed February 16, however, the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Crossroads International is committed to principles and values of access and equity. We encourage applications from people of colour, people with disabilities, and people from aboriginal and/or other marginalized communities.
All applicants must currently be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled