Location: Bolivia, South America
Deadline: June 13, 2016
About World Fisheries Trust
World Fisheries Trust (WFT) is a Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to the equitable and sustainable use and conservation of aquatic biodiversity.
World Fisheries Trust and its partners are working on the second phase of the Amazon Fish for Food Project (Peces para la Vida II – PPVII) (www.pecesvida.org), aimed at improving food security in the Bolivian Amazon through improved fisheries and aquaculture sectors. The Project, Funded by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) through the Canada International Food Security Research Fund (CIFSRF), is a collaborative effort by four partner organizations in Bolivia (Ingeniería Marketing Gestión SRL, Centro de Promoción Agropecuaria Campesina, Asociación FAUNAGUA, and Institución Financiera de Desarrollo CIDRE), and two in Canada (World Fisheries Trust, and University of Victoria)
The International Project Officer will provide management, research and support to the Amazon Fish for Food Project as a Canadian representative in Bolivia. Work will include all aspects of project development and management to support project activities, including monitoring and evaluating project results, communicating project deliverables, conducting participatory research, and supporting gender equity and scaling up strategies.
Based primarily in Bolivia, the Project Officer will be responsible for acting as liaison for the WFT and University of Victoria to ensure smooth collaboration with Bolivian partners, including communication on all aspects of the project.
This exciting opportunity offers experience in innovative and interdisciplinary food security action research and cross-scale /cross-cultural collaboration.
This position is for up to two years, with a 6-month probationary period.
- Assume responsibility of WFT’s PPVII project administration and duties in Bolivia
- Assist Bolivian project manager with reporting and coordination needs
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with project partners, and local, regional, and national stakeholders, fostering collaboration
- Assist in a variety of research activities, including providing support for visiting researchers through travel arrangements, booking of hotels, and arranging/providing field support
- Contribute to management of Community-based Participatory Research projects
- Contribute to the funding agency’s Project reporting requirements in a timely manner
- Support the development and application of the Project’s gender strategy
- Participate in developing and monitoring scaling up strategies, communications, monitoring and evaluation, and environmental assessment committees
- Assist in overall project coordination, event planning, and information management
- Translate and review reports and other documents as needed
- Contribute to publications
- Review and report on Project deliverables
- Help develop and monitor work plans and track reporting for external specialist consultants or volunteers
- A Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Biology, International Development or relevant field, or minimum of 5 years of related experience
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- Experience with food security, community-based resource management, and participatory research approaches, scaling up, and monitoring and evaluation are desirable
- Fluency in Spanish and English both oral and written is essential
- Flexibility to remain in Bolivia for extended periods of time (4-8 months)
- Experience in interdisciplinary international development work
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Superior oral and written communication skills in Spanish and English
- Exceptional planning and organization skills, and ability to work within shifting timelines
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and as part of a diverse teamEvidence of experience in international development setting
- Ability to produce accurate materials with attention to detail in a busy work environment
- Ability to write reports for international and domestic audiences
- Superior Communication and social media skills
Work is to start June 2016 with a brief training period in Kingston, ON and/or Victoria, BC, followed by a longer extended period in Bolivia. The term of employment is for a two-year period after successful performance review of the initial six months.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Please submit a CV, and a cover letter in both English and Spanish to: email@example.com by Monday June 13, 2016 and include ‘WFT International Project Officer’ in the subject line of your email.
Please note that only those invited to an interview will be contacted.