Location: Bale Robe , Ethiopia
Partner name: Madawalabu University
Length of placement (months): 6-12
Deadline for application: 01 September 2015
Start date: October 2015
Funding Eligibility requirements: Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
Language Requirements: English reading=4, writing=4, oral=4
About Cuso International
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. Cuso International’s work is driven by authentic engagement with and accountability to the people and communities involved.
About Madawalabu University
Mission: MWU is devoted to the sustainable socio-economic development of the country through provision of quality education, understanding community based research and delivering needs based community services.
Vision: MWU aspires to be one of the leading national universities and to be recognized internationally for providing quality education, problem solving research and community services.
The volunteer’s role
The ICT team is one of the key service wings at MadaWalabu University, the overall responsibility of which is coordinating the development of ICT infrastructure and services across the university to enhance the quality of teaching-learning, research and support activities.
The main purpose of this placement is to support the MWU achieve their university-wide networking goals and, in turn, to ensure the provision of relevant and quality health education in MWU.
The volunteer will:
- Provide coaching and mentoring in ICT systems and project Management
- Support implementation of a campus-wide network project
- Support ICT team in maintaining existing ICT resources and identifying/acquiring new relevant ICT applications
- Deliver training for MWU and external communities about information technologies that have impact in their day to day activities like the internet and train end-users on computer literacry and offer end-user computing support
- Support ICT policy development for the university
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- First degree in Computer Science
- Experience in project management
- Experience in in-service training design and delivery
Essential Professional Background/Competencies:
- Experience with Local Area Network / Wireless Local Area Network infrastructure development and Administration
- Able to work collaboratively with a team
- Commitment to achieve results
- Needs assessment and monitoring and evaluation for ICT projects expertise
Desirable Academic Qualifications:
- Graduate degree in computer science
Desirable Professional Background/Competencies:
- Certified in Network design and administration
- Know-how on using one/some of software applications listed below:
- Latest Debian Linux application
- Xibo software
- OrangeHRM open source software
- ABCD library automation software
- Balanced Score Card (BSC) automation software
- Drupal, an open source content management system
Important information for candidates
- Training and Financial Support: Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad.
- Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs)
- Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training
- Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency)
- Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance
- Accommodation while overseas
- A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
- For placements requiring Spanish language, substantive in-country language training is provided for those who already have intermediate knowledge.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.