Location: Bale Robe , Ethiopia
Partner name: Madawalabu University
Length of placement (months): 6
Deadline for application: 01 September 2015
Start date: October 2015
Funding Eligibility requirements: Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
Language Requirements: English reading=4, writing=4, oral=4
About Cuso International
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. Cuso International’s work is driven by authentic engagement with and accountability to the people and communities involved.
About Madawalabu University
Mission: MWU is devoted to the sustainable socio-economic development of the country through provision of quality education, understanding community based research and delivering needs based community services.
Vision: MWU aspires to be one of the leading national universities and to be recognized internationally for providing quality education, problem solving research and community services.
The volunteer’s role
The overall purpose of the placement is to support MWU in its efforts to become a Centre for Excellence in gender mainstreaming and social inclusion.
The volunteer will:
- Support data collection, data analysis and needs assessment
- Design a gender and social inclusion monitoring and evaluation system
- Establish a gender and social inclusion resource centre within the library system
- Provide advice and support for faculty interested in gender, social inclusion and RMNCH research
- Identify potential linkages with Canadian universities and identify opportunities for publishing in academic journals
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in gender studies or equivalent graduate level degree
- Qualitative and quantitative research skills
- Experience in conducting needs assessments, data collection and analysis, monitoring and evaluation expertise
Essential Professional Background/Competencies:
- Able to work collaboratively with a team
- Commitment to achieve results
- Facilitation experience using active learning and participatory methods
Desirable Academic Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in gender studies or related field
- International development experience
Desirable Professional Background/Competencies:
- Experience working in a developing country
- Experience in development of e-Libraries
- Previous gender and development experience
- Curriculum development expertise
- Experience in RMNCH work
Important information for candidates
- Training and Financial Support: Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad.
- Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs)
- Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training
- Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency)
- Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance
- Accommodation while overseas
- A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
- For placements requiring Spanish language, substantive in-country language training is provided for those who already have intermediate knowledge.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.