|Accountable To:||Executive Director of the BC Council for International Cooperation|
|Duration:||Full-time (37.5 hours/week) initial one year contract, subject to renewal|
|Salary:||Salary starting at $51,574 including benefits.|
|Start Date:||November 27, 2017|
The British Columbia Council for International Cooperation (BCCIC) is a coalition of individual and organizational members working to achieve sustainable global development. The Council is committed to international cooperation in two ways. First, BCCIC supports its members to network, learn, and share good practice, while representing members’ interests provincially, nationally, and internationally. Second, the Council encourages and mobilizes British Columbians as active global citizens.
BCCIC is seeking a Communications Officer for a full-time position in its Vancouver office. The selected candidate will be a creative communications management generalist with strong writing skills, media relations experience, and a passion for creating positive social change locally and globally. BCCIC is looking for a seasoned professional who has the ability to juggle competing priorities, lead and deliver multi-stakeholder projects, and thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. The ideal candidate will have strengths in both high-level strategic thinking and on-the-ground production.
This job posting indicates the general areas of responsibility and ongoing tasks associated with this position. In support of BCCIC’s strategic directions, the Communications Officer will spearhead the development, execution, monitoring, and evaluation of the organization’s communications strategy and related program initiatives. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Officer will work closely with other staff, Council members, and key stakeholders for input and collaboration.
Communications, Media Relations, and Programming
- Coordinating, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive communications strategy that encompasses website, social media, online sharing tools (videos, podcasts, webinars), media relations, branding and public communications materials
- Executing a digital media strategy, including integration into broader communications and marketing plans
- Managing and producing content for all related communication tools, including online sharing tools of program results
- Managing the design and development of visual content for all related communication tools including online and print materials
- Producing and distributing public communications materials as required, including annual reports, research publications, and newsletters
- Developing and managing a media strategy, such as media relations, press releases, and promotion of BCCIC
- Planning and implementing an interactive, online campaign for International Development Week (IDW) annually that raises awareness of international development issues and celebrates Canadian contributions to global issues, particularly amongst youth
- Ensuring ongoing coordination between the communications strategy and all BCCIC programming
- Coordinating communications technology at public events, such as photography, video, social media etc.
Operations and Membership
- Managing the operational membership processes of application, renewal, and the annual membership survey
- Participating on the BCCIC Board Membership Committee on matters of membership policy
- Creating and maintaining membership databases including contact and payment information
- Managing budget lines of relevant communications and programming
- Developing and managing monitoring and evaluation processes for related sphere of work
- Contributing qualitative and quantitative data from sphere of work to the Council’s reporting systems
- Compiling narrative reports for the Council’s reporting systems
- Developing and managing volunteers and contractors as needed
- Participating in staff meetings and providing input towards operational practices and policies as required
- Representing BCCIC, the Executive Director, Board of Directors and its Committees at events or external meetings, when requested
- Responding to general telephone and email inquiries including inquiries regarding membership
- Other duties, as assigned
The Communications Officer may be required to work occasional evenings, weekends, or additional hours, and may be required to travel within BC and/or Canada.
Qualifications, Abilities and Experience
- Post-secondary degree in communications, public relations, or another related field
- A minimum of five years of experience working in communications, media, or public relations, ideally gained in the not-for-profit sector
- Superior written, oral, and online communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in WordPress, HTML, SEO, Microsoft Office suite, Google Suite, MailChimp, and social and emerging digital media platforms and tools
- Strong experience with project management, including budget, evaluation, and reporting
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive, strategic working relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers
- Ability to work cooperatively with others to set goals, resolve conflicts, and make decisions that enhance the effectiveness of BCCIC
- Excellent time management, decision making, organizational, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated self-starter who exhibits flexibility, creativity, and initiative
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision in a deadline-oriented environment
- Shows a keen attention to detail
- Possesses a sense of humour
- Committed to the goals and values of BCCIC
- Assets: understanding of social justice and international development issues, experience with not-for-profits, familiarity with diverse regions of BC, working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, experience with Results Based Management (RBM).
Together with your resume please forward a cover letter which includes your responses to the following:
- What interests you most about the position?
- Tell us why you are a good fit with this position and this organization?
- How have you proven your ability to successfully implement communications initiatives that involve a range of diverse stakeholders?
The deadline for applications is November 13th Please send your documents to email@example.com.
Only individuals invited to an interview will be contacted.