Are you looking to make an impact? Do you have an artistic eye you are looking to lend to sustainable development work? As part of the BC Council for International Cooperation’s volunteer internship program we are looking for a Volunteer Communications Design Assistant.
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer who will play a key role in supporting summer BCCIC communication activities including layout and design of the BCCIC 2017 Annual Report, design and layout support to an upcoming research report as well as support the development of graphic imagery for use on social media, newsletter, and website. The Volunteer Communications Design Assistant will also assist with web updates and other communications tasks as required.
This is an ideal opportunity for individuals who are:
- Looking to get practical experience using their design skills in a practical context
- Interested in exploring the relationship between communication and design
- Excited to translate ideas into easily digestible visuals
- Wanting to gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Draft layouts for various publication styles keeping within BCCIC branding and style guidelines
- Design simple graphics for use in publications, social media, newsletter and website
- Assist in researching and identifying BCCIC content that can make good visuals
- Work with the Communications Officer to develop annual report
- Research printing requirements and details
- Assist with website updates and some administrative work as required
- Proven attention to detail
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign)
- Self-directed and ability to work independently
- Problem-solver, ability to take initiative
- Previous experience in a communications role of any kind an asset
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer intern available starting as soon as possible who can dedicate at least 8-16 hours (1-2 days) a week until end of August 2017 to carry out the above responsibilities. This time period can be extended based on performance and mutual agreement between the candidate and BCCIC.
The selected candidate will work directly with the Communications Officer at the Vancouver BCCIC Office and carry out their tasks in-office. Some flexibility may be negotiated.
In return for donating your time, BCCIC will provide opportunities to:
- Gain valuable communication and design experience as it applies to the non-profit sector
- Develop insight into what contributes to the success of a communications initiative
- Network within the non-profit and global social change sector
- Participate in capacity building workshops and receive staff mentorship
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and resume as part of the BCCIC team and;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network.
Deadline to express interest is May 29 at 9:00 AM.
Interested individuals are asked to email Kareen Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV as well as an example of your digital creative work. Individuals will be contacted and assessed on a rolling basis.
BCCIC is a coalition of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/